UPDATED: Ghostbusters Bomb Watch | ManlyMovie

UPDATED: Ghostbusters Bomb Watch

mccarthyghostbusters

UPDATED:  Well some people might think we’re gloating here and, well, they’d be right.  Correct.  We are.  That said, how does a $70 million loss sound?  A new report just out indicates that Sony Pictures may well scuttle their plans for a sequel too.  The film has grossed around $180 million but it is said that it would’ve required $300 million  to break even.  So I wonder what’s up with Dan Aykroyd right now?  Shilling to the bitter end, Danny boy?

I wonder if Dan will join our ‘something we said’ club, if we point out some figures to him on Twitter?!

Night Rider

PREVIOUSLY: BoxOfficeMojo is reporting that, as of its third week of release, “Ghostbusters” has earned $106,171,471 domestically and $52,100,000 internationally, totalling up to $158,271,471 on a budget of $144 million. That’s good grounds for a flop, considering that it will most likely get banned in China, and that “Suicide Squad” will dominate the global weekend this coming Thursday.

But I don’t see it being mentioned in detail in any of the week’s box office news, if at all. Some of the news outlets are even in damage control mode when they’re written previous films off with similar budgets and grosses as bombs even though they, too, gross over or nearly $100 million domestically (“Lone Ranger”, “Pacific Rim”, “Terminator 5”), only retracting their statements when China intervenes with their own box office results.

VarietyHuffington Post, Los Angeles Times, Wall Street Journal, New York Times all somehow never mentioned this underperformance. Entertainment Weekly and USA Today hilariously try to soften the blow. “…on its way to a healthy overall run as it wisely taps into a recently underserved demographic.” Yeah, no. In my eyes, the film is a bomb if it doesn’t earn back more than double its production cost. A bit of the upside, in those same articles above, looks like the Bourne franchise will continue. I hope they improve on the next outing.

AlTeo

1. Avatar

Mucho Macho

August 1, 2016 at 9:00 pm

Critics can be very hard and or tough on so many movies and yet they treat this so-called Ghostbusters movie with kid gloves or as if they were walking on eggshells.
    Last night I saw Jason Bourne and despite my usual complain that I want to vomit during the shaky-cam scenes, because of so many god-awful reviews, I expected a piece of shit but I actually thought it was a solid entry in the series. Nothing really new happens, more of the same, not the best, but I was entertained throughout. I still think Bourne Legacy is underrated , which I think gets a lot of band-wagon hate.

I love Batman and I actually enjoyed “Man of Steel” and “Batman vs. Superman” and both movies have been hailed by many critics as a Monumental disasters both creatively and financially (which is not true ) and yet the same critics praise the living shit out of this Women is Cosplay unfunny Ghostbusters debacle. Not only “fake praise it” but hide it’s shortcomings at the boxoffice.
    Fuck ‘Em!

Slidell

August 1, 2016 at 9:54 pm

The Bubble People actually think spin is reality. It seems to have worked for them in the intermediate term. However reality always wins

Mucho Macho

August 2, 2016 at 12:05 am

True ..very true my friend👍

Jake

August 2, 2016 at 7:21 am

It definitely feels like the 73% and 57% scores for Ghostbusters and Jason Bourne should be reversed. I think Ghostbusters got a pass because critics didn’t want to appear sexist, while Bourne was graded too harshly for not reinventing the wheel.

Mucho Macho

August 2, 2016 at 7:30 am

Very true my friend

Barney Ross

August 3, 2016 at 2:40 pm

FACT

2. Avatar

Mucho Macho

August 1, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Girl Power!!
    You want women to go to your movie.. I don’t know..
    Put Channing Tatum in your movie or something

3. Avatar

Mucho Macho

August 1, 2016 at 9:05 pm

Hey Tom Rothman…feel like telling your audience again to “Fuck Off”?

4. Avatar

Mucho Macho

August 1, 2016 at 9:07 pm

I think Leslie Jones mugged me once

5. Avatar

jim

August 1, 2016 at 10:13 pm

Women can make you horny …they can make you angry…but they can’t make you laugh..

Mucho Macho

August 2, 2016 at 12:07 am

My girlfriend makes me laugh when she tries to win an argument with her “logic”

jim

August 2, 2016 at 8:22 pm

youtube.com/watch?v=hbA-KAgj-ko

Mucho Macho

August 2, 2016 at 8:39 pm

Hahahahaha..Thats a good movie. Always liked it.
          Boy when they wanna get their way, its a pain.
          there are two things I always tell my girlfriend that’s wrong with women.
          *Number 1)
          not every day is going to be San Valentine’s Day.
          Stop expecting that shit.
          and number 2 )
          not everything should be a test on how much one loves them.
          just cuz I don’t want to spend my fucking days off looking at bullshit I don’t want with you, at some bullshit store like “Beth Bath and fucking Beyond” it’s not an indictment on how I feel about you ..
          I just want to sit on my ass and watch TV.
          📢Let me be woman..Let me be🍻

6. Avatar

UpInHurr

August 1, 2016 at 10:43 pm

That’s still too much money for it. Part 2 is all but guaranteed when Blu-ray and DVD VOD and licensing sales are all tallied up. Maybe with a smaller budget but they’ll figure out a way to save face, the pride is just too much.

7. Avatar

Barney Ross

August 2, 2016 at 9:10 pm

8. Avatar

Barney Ross

August 2, 2016 at 9:10 pm

HAHAHAHHAHAH what kind of fucking stupid girly man paid to watch this anyway…….BOYCOTT REMAKES

9. Avatar

Just Some Polack

August 3, 2016 at 2:28 pm

Still, that’s too much money. Too many sheep went to see this feminazi propaganda. And maybe they still are going to release it in China, where people simply love flashy movies, even if it’s shit (see: Terminator 5). And even if they get less than expected, red Sony might still greenlight the sequel just to prove that “agenda” is still strong and winning.

10. Avatar

Mucho Macho

August 10, 2016 at 10:18 pm

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Hey guys..check this vid out
    Spot on…it’s like we wrote it ourselves

11. Avatar

jim

August 11, 2016 at 12:25 am

Night Rider is quite right: it is wrong to gloat but I’m going to allow myself a few sniggers while noting the following sentence in his report:

” … Sony Pictures may well scuttle their plans for a sequel”

These guys just don’t give up. A sequel should be dead in the water but they can’t bring themselves to say it. Here’s hoping the trannified Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Oceans 11 go the same way.

Mucho Macho

August 11, 2016 at 5:11 am

Remember Dirty Rotten Scoundrels has a plot twist towards the end regarding the woman. I wonder how is it going to play in the role reversal?
      Are there women going to be fooled by a man?
      I bet they won’t do that shit.
      Fuck ‘Em!